This Giada DeLaurentis mousse-like recipe tasted amazing and I loved the presentation using the white chocolate cup which was surprisingly easy to make. The slight hint of orange gave it just the right balance too. If you're a chocolate fan, you'll have to try this one sometime. The recipe below yields 8 servings.
1. Make sure you use enough white chocolate to coat the muffin paper. If you don't use enough, the cup will be too brittle and will break while assembling.
2. If you don't like white chocolate, any chocolate will do for the cup.
3. For a dinner party, these can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight. Just make sure you let them sit at room temperature for one hour before serving.
8 oz white chocolate, chopped
4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whipping cream
3 Tbs sugar
8 oz mascarpone cheese
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate curls, for garnish
1. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Melt the white chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth.
3. Spoon 1 Tbs melted chocolate into each paper liner.
4. Using a pastry brush, coat the chocolate evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the liners.
5. Freeze until the chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.
6. Remelt the white chocolate in the bowl.
7. Spoon 1 tablespoon into each cup and brush over the bottom and up the sides, forming a second coat.
8. Freeze until completely set, about 1 hour.
9. Melt the bittersweet chocolate in top of a clean double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth.
10. Set aside to cool completely.
11. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream and sugar in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
12. Set the whipped cream aside.
13. Using an electric mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese, melted bittersweet chocolate, orange peel, and vanilla in a large bowl just until smooth and glossy, about 30 seconds, being careful not to overmix.
14. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture in 2 batches.
15. Transfer the mousse to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
16. Pipe the mousse into the white chocolate cups.
17. Sprinkle the chocolate curls over the mousse, then peel off the paper, exposing the white chocolate cup.
18. Serve immediately.