March 1, 2011
Brie Fondue Hash Browns
This wonderful recipe comes via Alex Guarnaschelli from foodnetwork.com. The smell of this in the oven was heavenly and the taste was every bit as good. I am a huge brie fan so the combination, though unusual, was a hit. I think this would be great for breakfast or dinner or even an "amuse bouche" at a dinner party. The recipe below yields 6 servings. Enjoy!
2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs unsalted butter
2 large Idaho potatoes, washed, peeled and diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup apple juice
1 8 oz Brie cheese, rind trimmed off the bottom side
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
3. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, add the butter and the potatoes.
4. Season with a pinch of paprika and salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they become tender but crispy, about 10 minutes.
6. Add the onions and the juice. Season again with salt and pepper and increase the heat.
7. The potatoes should eventually start to brown. Add more butter, if desired.
8. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally so that potatoes brown on all sides.
9. Put cheese in the middle of the skillet on top of everything and place the pan in the center of the oven.
10. Bake until the cheese melts, about 8 to 10 minutes.
11. Plate by putting a base of the hash browns on a plate and topping with a small wedge of the brie and a few sprinkles of green onion.
12. Serve immediately.