This is one of the easiest yet most satisfying desserts that can also be used as a palette cleanser preceding a main course.The recipe combines a simple syrup with freshly squeezed oranges and orange peel. The recipe below yields 6 large servings or about 18 smaller servings. Enjoy!
1. For an even richer sorbet, substitute the extra water with additional orange juice.
2. If you don't have time to juice fresh oranges, you can use store bought orange juice. The taste is not quite as fresh but it is still wonderful.
3. This can be made several days in advance and frozen. Just make sure you thaw it out slightly before serving or it will be too hard.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Juice from 5 oranges
Rind from one orange
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water until sugar is fully dissolved.
2. Bring to a boil without stirring, let boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
4. Stir in the syrup mixture.
5. Add enough water to bring total liquid to 4 1/2 cups.
6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
7. Pour into ice-cream maker and follow directions until sorbet reaches desired consistency.