September 20, 2011
Pavlova with Kiwifruit
Named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, this famous Australian dessert consists of crisp meringue base topped with whipped cream and fruit such as strawberries, passion fruit or kiwi. A Pavlova is usually served with a fruit sauce or additional whipped cream. I made two of these yesterday, one for some friends and one for us and I wish I had made 10 more. I have always loved meringue and this was the first time I had ever made it. The recipe below, taken from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Book of Desserts, yields one Pavlova, good for 8-12 servings. Enjoy!
1. The egg whipping and the cream whipping are both very temperamental processes. Make sure you watch each carefully so as not to overwhip.
2. Because I live in Utah, I adjusted the recipe below for high altitude by using 1 less Tbs sugar and I raised the oven temp to 300F for the first 30 minutes of baking.
3. I added 1 Tbs sugar to the cream and almond extract mixture to give the whipped cream a little more sweetness.
3 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3/4 tsp almond extract
1. Line cookie sheet with foil.
2. Using 9 inch round plate or cake pan as a guide, with toothpick, outline a circle on foil on the cookie sheet.
3. Preheat oven to 275F.
4. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form.
5. Beating at high speed, gradually sprinkle in sugar, 2 Tbs at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar completely dissolves and whites stand in stiff, glossy peaks.
6. Inside circle on cookie sheet, spoon meringue mixture, shaping meringe into a "nest" about 1 1/2 inches high around edge.
7. Bake 1 1/4 hours or until meringue is lightly browned and crisp.
8. Cool meringue on cookie sheet on wire rack 10 minutes.
9. Carefully loosen and remove meringue from foil to wire rack to cool completely.
10. When meringue is cool, place on serving plate.
11. With sharp knife, peel off skin and thinly slice kiwifruit.
12. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy cream, almond extract until stiff peaks form.
13. Spoon 2/3 cream into meringue shell.
14. Reserve a few kiwifruit slices.
15. Arrange remainder on cream.
16. Top with remaining cream and reserved kiwifruit.