September 29, 2011
Roquefort Pear Salad
While visiting my sister in Seattle several months ago, she made a delicious salad with pears and blue cheese and I finally asked her for the recipe. The combination of pears and blue cheese can be combined in so many variations but this is one of my favorites. The recipe originated on allrecipes.com but I made a few slight modifications. The recipe below yields about 8 servings. Enjoy!
1. When combining the ingredients for the dressing, shake them together really well in a sealed bowl or use a salad shaker. I have found this is just as easy as using a whisk.
2. I used red wine vinegar but my sister uses apple cider vinegar. Either taste wonderful.
3. If you don't have parchment paper, try waxed although with wax be careful that the paper doesn't peel off with the nuts.
1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
3 pears, peeled and chopped
5 oz Roquefort cheese, crumbled
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pecans
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbs red wine or apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans.
2. Continue stirring until sugar has melted and the pecans start clumping together.
3. Transfer nuts onto parchment paper.
4. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
5. Blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper in a container.
6. On each plate layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions.
7. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.