The weather has begun getting very cold here in Utah so what better way to welcome in the Fall than with freshly baked muffins with cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts and banana? There's really only 3 main steps in this recipe and from start to finish these can be done in less than just over 30 minutes. The aroma in your kitchen will be well worth the effort too. The recipe below yields 12 muffins. Enjoy!
1. Don't overmix after adding the flour. The batter should not be smooth.
2. These muffins are best served the day they are baked.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 large egg
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/3 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2-3)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Grease a standard 12-muffin pan or line with paper liners.
3. Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Stir in walnuts.
5. In separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
6. Add the dry mixture and fold just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
7. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
8. Bake 14-16 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Let cool 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan.