March 5, 2012
Buttermilk Blue Cheese Wedge
I am a huge blue cheese fan and this is my favorite salad as it combines the great taste of blue cheese with crisp iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, bacon pieces, sliced red onion, all in a homemade buttermilk blue dressing. My kids don't like blue cheese but devour this salad every time. Maybe I should tell them what those chunks are. The recipe below yields 6 servings. Enjoy!
1. The dressing can be made a few days in advance. When refrigerating, cover with plastic wrap and push down onto the surface of the dressing in the bowl to prevent it from crusting.
2. The buttermilk adds a great texture and flavor to this dressing but is not required. Add it in small amounts until the desired taste and consistency is reached.
3. You can use any kind of blue cheese. The most commonly found varieties in the store are Blue cheese (French, usually used in desserts, mild), Gorgonzola (Italian, used in cooking, sandwiches or desserts, sweet), and Roquefort (used in desserts, sharp).
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 cup coarsely crumbled blue cheese
Buttermilk, to taste
1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large head of iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges, each with some core attached
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced (optional)
4 Roma tomatoes, diced
1. Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
2. Add blue cheese and stir until well blended.
3. Add buttermilk until desired consistency is reached.
4. Arrange lettuce on plates.
5. Spoon dressing over lettuce.
6. Add crumbled bacon.
7. Garnish with tomatoes and red onion if desired.